Meet the Women Rock Ambassadors

Meet the Women Rock Ambassadors

I started Women Rock to create a movement, I wanted to let folk have a voice, I wanted to make a real change when it came to ED&I. I wanted Women Rock to have a positive change on our industry and for us all to share stories about careers, challenges and successes. Also to celebrate the awesome things companies are doing to attract, retain and promote diverse talent. Almost 4 years on Women Rock is doing everything it was set out to do but we’re not slowing down.

I’m super proud of the Women Rock ambassador team who share the same passion as myself and who are out to make a change in the tech industry by supporting underrepresented folk. In 2021 our diversity placements were an awesome 46.3% which is well above industry standard. This year we want to increase this to over 50% and expand our reach, meet new folk, hear and share new stories + so much more, did someone say a festival……

This is a group effort and would love to introduce the Women Rock ambassadors.

I have to say, my favorite quote when chatting to the team came from Mr Steve Dalley, when asked ‘If you could change one thing about the world what would it be? ‘’Any confectionery item produced with chocolate and orange should be made a crime.’’ We were talking about ED&I but each to their own you orange hater! Lol! And in the spirit of ED&I we celebrate all varieties of chocolate – even coffee Revels…

Keep rocking!

SOPHIE – MARKETING AND COMMUNITY MANAGER

WHAT DOES DIVERSITY MEAN TO YOU?

Variety is the spice of life – an oldie but a goodie! But to me, diversity is exactly that – the spice of life, exciting and interesting. I love to learn from people of all walks of life and from a variety of backgrounds. I feel like diversity is something of a buzzword at the moment, and those companies that look at diversity as a trend will only miss out on the depth and value that a true diverse organisation brings.

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO COMPANIES ON HOW TO ATTRACT THE BEST DIVERSE TALENT?

I may be biased as a content creator…but content is key when companies are trying to attract a more diverse work force. Think about the audience you are trying to engage with and then look at the topics that effect/ interest them – different cultural events and celebrations for example – then create content, for your blog, social channels etc that is still authentic to your brand (you don’t want this to look like a tick box exercise) but a lot more inclusive.

IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING ABOUT THE WORLD, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Not to sound like a pageant princess or anything…but peace! No more war, a peaceful world where we can all just live our lives how we want, without judgement, hate, jealously and greed.

WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST SUCCESS TO DATE & WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE TO DATE?

Biggest success to date is proving to myself and others I can work for amazing brands all around the world without a uni degree!! I’ve moved a lot in my career – Leamington to Sydney, Sydney to London, London to Bristol and hustled HARD. Biggest challenge is similar to my biggest success, in that I have not only rocked up in a new city, knowing no-one, but also had to wrap my head around a recruitment brand to market! But so far so good (I think)

IF YOU WERE A SONG WHAT SONG WOULD YOU BE?

Kate Bush – Running Up That Hill – To me it’s about overcoming fears by being vulnerable and that’s something I’m working on…also, Kate Bush is a vibe.

ANDY HAZEL – PRINCIPLE CONSULTANT

For me, Diversity is the openness to accept different backgrounds, beliefs and values without question or judgement.

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO COMPANIES ON HOW TO ATTRACT THE BEST DIVERSE TALENT?

Think about what you can do to help attract diverse talent at entry level, to help address the long-term issue rather than solving a short-term fix.

War. Human beings should be battling to co-exist for the longevity of our planet and all species on earth, rather than fighting each other because of different beliefs and desires.

WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST SUCCESS TO DATE & WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE TO DATE?

Success: being consistently recognised by friends, family, and colleagues as someone who goes out of their way to help people.

Challenge: Being consistently confident in the person I am, and not changing my personality to make others happy.

IF YOU WERE A SONG, WHAT SONG WOULD YOU BE?

Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen. There are lots of different parts to me that can often be a surprise!

CHARLOTTE BAKER – SENIOR CONSULTANT

To me, diversity means zero judgement. You can be who you want, wear what you want, look how you want, say what you want (within reason lol) and not feel judged, worried, or stereotyped. A world where you can fully embrace and appreciate others ❤

Be open minded, especially when reviewing CVs! Just because a candidate doesn’t have X number of years, or skills with a certain technology doesn’t mean they can’t do the job. If you’re on the fence, then set up an initial chat. You never know, they may really impress you and end up being one of the best hires you’ve ever made!

Get rid of social media.

My biggest success is currently happening right now. I have been through a lot at SR2 and have faced loads of challenges, but I think my biggest success is being able to turn these negative experiences into a positive one. I’m now doing the best I’ve ever done, and soon going to be promoted to Principal and I wouldn’t have got here if I didn’t have the strength to push through. Recruitment isn’t easy, everyone knows that – so I’m super proud that I’ve got to where I am. Without sounding big-headed 😂

The biggest challenge for me was a life experience one when I lost a family member very close to me. I’m super open about speaking about this because there might be someone out there experiencing something similar. It was an extremely difficult time for me, but it’s made me stronger and is probably played a part in getting to where I am right now.

Dancing in the Moonlight – Toploader (tune)

STEVE DALLEY – SENIOR CONSULTANT

Diversity is about not only addressing the imbalance we see in the industry but also is about breeding fresh ideas and innovation with stems from those with varied and mixed backgrounds.

There are multiple ways to attract diverse talent but can start from the initial advert about a particular role or opportunity. Companies need to consider the language being used and how requirements are portrayed in the advert. Portraying and creating an inclusive company culture is key to bringing in and retaining a diverse talent pool. Recommendations and referrals will occur naturally if this is created helping grow and increase diversity. Finally, companies can look to participate in particular events and initiatives such as ‘Women Rock’ as these are pushed and published to underrepresented groups and therefore, creates an opportunity for companies to portray their values and get their name out there driving engagement from these particular groups.

Any confectionery item produced with chocolate and orange should be made a crime.

Outside of work, my biggest success has been obtaining a 1st class degree at university. Inside of work, I would say reaching a recruitment milestone of £10k per week.

My biggest challenge has probably been completing the Bristol half marathon with virtually no training. This was slightly harder than expected!

Hips don’t lie – Shakira

CAITLIN SWENY – HEAD OF CULTURE OPS & PEOPLE

Diversity to me is having variety in every sense of the word – thoughts, actions, personalities, experiences & backgrounds. Celebrating being different and not being held back by those differences.

Not treating diversity as a tick boxing exercise. Being open and honest about where you are currently, and the challenges faced in the past with attracting diverse talent. Really understanding and educating others on what a diverse workforce will bring to their teams. Make sure ED&I runs through their company culture and not just recruitment processes.

Time. Can you imagine time not existing and everything being free of having a limit or end?!

Success: Discovering SR2, the purpose it has given me, and the incredible opportunities & experiences it has unfolded for me 💙.

Challenge: Getting to grips with believing and understanding the above 👆

American Pie – Don McLean. Long-winded, organised chaos 😅.

LATEST WOMENROCK

A letter from Alicia
WOMENROCK02-05-2026
A letter from Alicia
Louise Patterson | Northumbrian Water Group
WOMENROCK25-06-2024
Louise Patterson | Northumbrian Water Group
Breaking The Stigma Around Bipolar | Kelly Morgans
WOMENROCK07-05-2024
Breaking The Stigma Around Bipolar | Kelly Morgans