Priya Baheti | EY Technology Solutions

Priya Baheti | EY Technology Solutions

When it comes to diversifying the tech industry, we could learn a thing or two from India. Various organisations, NGOs, and government initiatives in India have been working to empower women and promote gender equality. These efforts often include scholarships, mentorship programs, and awareness campaigns to encourage more women to pursue careers in STEM fields. The visibility of successful female engineers and tech professionals in India serves as inspiration for young women considering careers in tech. 

This week's Women Rock guest is Priya Baheti who began her journey into tech in Pune, India where she was selected through a graduate selection process as a Trainee engineer. Priya now works as Solution Architecture Manager at EY Technology Solutions, after wearing many hats throughout her 15+ career in tech.

CAN YOU TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT WHAT YOU DO AT E&Y?

I have recently joined  EY Technology Consulting as a Manager – Solution architecture. Prior to that, I spent more than a decade in Cognizant technology solutions where I played multiple roles right from Database subject matter, Database technical lead, Infrastructure delivery manager and Infrastructure solution lead.  I worked for various Telecom, Media and retail clients. 

I GUESS WE SHOULD START AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR TECH STORY, HOW DID YOU GET INTO THE INDUSTRY?  

I started my career in Infosys Technology Solutions as a Trainee engineer in Pune, India. I was selected through the graduate selection process.  Infosys is an Indian multinational company. Their training programme for fresh college graduates is exceptional in terms of getting in-depth technology knowledge and industry-ready for fresh graduates. 
I had to take on financial responsibilities for my family right after my bachelor’s degree in computer technology and it was a great start for me. 

WHAT DO YOU THINK CAN BE DONE TO HELP ATTRACT A MORE DIVERSE MIX OF PEOPLE INTO TECH?  

To attract a more diverse mix of people into tech, initiatives focusing on outreach, education, and creating inclusive environments can be implemented. 

AS A WOMAN IN TECHNOLOGY, HAVE YOU FACED ANY CHALLENGES AND BARRIERS IN YOUR CAREER?  

As a woman in the technology field, I encountered challenges such as biases regarding women's roles in technology, limited opportunities for leadership responsibilities, and societal perceptions about career choices for women in a male-dominated country like India. 
I am blessed with an incredibly motivating, unwaveringly encouraging, and wholeheartedly supportive spouse and leaders who have been instrumental in empowering my journey.

WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST ACHIEVEMENT IN TECH AND ALSO PERSONALLY?  

My proudest achievement in tech is successfully navigating a 15+year career while balancing the roles of a mother and wife, and quickly re-joining the workforce after maternity leave, all while contributing significantly to the field of technology.

IN ONE SENTENCE, HOW WOULD YOU SUM UP YOUR CAREER SO FAR?  

The journey is the reward.

WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPIEST IN YOUR FREE TIME?

Spending time with my family, enjoying my hobby of painting makes me happiest in my free time.

WHAT ERA WOULD YOU LIVE IN, PAST OR FUTURE, AND WHY?  

I would always love to live in the present. However, when there is an option between the past and the future, I will choose a future for which I can dream about. 

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE QUOTE OR A QUOTE YOU LIVE/WORK BY?

Miles to go before I sleep.

Thanks Priya, you rock 🤘

Interview by Max Crowhurst

LATEST WOMENROCK

A letter from Alicia
WOMENROCK02-05-2026
A letter from Alicia
Louise Patterson | Northumbrian Water Group
WOMENROCK25-06-2024
Louise Patterson | Northumbrian Water Group
Breaking The Stigma Around Bipolar | Kelly Morgans
WOMENROCK07-05-2024