Meet the Women Rock Ambassadors Part 3

Meet the Women Rock Ambassadors Part 3

For the final instalment of ‘Meet the Women Rock Ambassadors’  Alicia chats with JennaCharles and Steph about why they wanted to get involved in this movement, what diversity means to them and how they see the landscape of ED&I changing. Alicia started Women Rock to let folk have a voice and make a positive change in the tech industry by empowering the groups that don’t usually get the recognition they deserve.

The whole of the Women Rock team feel so passionate about these subjects and we hope you enjoy meeting the gang on a more personal level! Each ambassador has a story to tell and this week we get a peek into the wonderful brains and lives of Jenna, Charles and Steph…

Keep rocking!

JENNA HEYES – CONSULTANT

WHAT DOES DIVERSITY MEAN TO YOU?

Diversity to me means equal opportunities for all no matter what gender, race, sexuality or religion. A human is a human, and we should all strive to be kind to each other. Diversity is what makes each one of us totally unique – who wants to be the same as everyone else? It’s our differences that shape the world, and when you create a diverse space, it makes the whole community a better place to be in.

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO COMPANIES ON HOW TO ATTRACT THE BEST DIVERSE TALENT?

I would advise companies to think outside the box and not follow the typical norms and ways of doing things. A big one for me would be to use inclusive language in job adverts and on socials! Also, be consistent. Diverse talent won’t be convinced if there’s just one or two posts about diversity, and not really much to back up what you’re looking for.

IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING ABOUT THE WORLD, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

If I could change one thing about the world, I would change greed. I think humanity have become obsessed with greed and money and ultimately, it’s destroying our planet and our society. We need to get rid of those ego’s of ours!

WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST SUCCESS TO DATE & WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE TO DATE?

My biggest success to date is joining a company like SR2. I never thought I would be able to say I work for such an amazing company with incredible motives and morals. I never did that well at university and my confidence was low – but since joining I feel so supported and excited to see what the future holds!

My biggest challenge to date is packing my bags and jetting off to Australia on my own at 18 years old! I ended up staying out there for two years and having the best time of my life – it grew me as a person and gave me so many life lessons. What doesn’t challenge you doesn’t grow you!

IF YOU WERE A SONG WHAT SONG WOULD YOU BE?

If I was a song, I would be Filthy/Gorgeous by the Scissor Sisters. No reason just an absolute tune!

CHARLES HOSKINS – HEAD OF PERM (PUBLIC SECTOR LONDON)

To me it’s creating an environment that means I get to have the opportunity to surround myself with amazing people from different walks of life. A place where I can learn and teach with them on a daily basis. It’s great!

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO COMPANIES ON HOW TO ATTRACT THE BEST DIVERSE TALENT?

Listen! More often than not companies fall into the trap of having a D&I statement on their website and it stops there. If you are only just starting to drive D&I, that’s okay! There’s so many people and groups that would love to help and educate you. So listen to what they say works/is right and most importantly follow it up with action 😊

Given my upcoming move to London, I’d like to make rent there cheaper 😂 But to keep it relevant, lets bin off close-mindedness! Without different opinions and a counter argument you cant learn. So keep an open mind with everything, you’ll be surprised what you’ll learn.

WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST SUCCESS TO DATE & WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE TO DATE?

Success: My recruitment career has taken me to some pretty cool places. Not just to a senior post at SR2, but it’s taken me around the world! A close second is my music career 😏

Challenge: Learning to deal with life, particularly the rubbish bits. But got to find the positives and it makes you a better person coming out of it!

IF YOU WERE A SONG, WHAT SONG WOULD YOU BE?

Ratamahatta by Sepultura because what the f**k is going on there!

STEPH JACKSON – PRINCIPLE CONSULTANT

Diversity to me is about celebrating differences and allowing them to all come together to create more of a varied workplace. No matter what skin colour, background, religion, gender etc… it’s about celebrating differences and accepting that we are all equal human beings in this world.

To be as flexible as possible, if you’re getting diverse candidates applying who might not have every skill you’re looking for – why not have something set up in place to support those people to help them gain more experience and train them up, it’s important for companies to make that first step in making changes if they want diverse talent in their teams. Other advice I would give to be actually offer people the work/life balance they are looking for, that’s going to attract more candidates in general always.

One thing I see so much of these days and would LOVE to remove from the world is this whole “cancel culture” thing – people are far too judgemental, and quick to slam someone for their mistakes or for getting things wrong. Nobody is perfect, and we should all be teaching one another with love… how great would a world be when we didn’t cancel people for their mistakes, but support them with patience and kindly explain a different point of view to them. If we all thought the same way it would be a very boring world. It costs nothing to be kind.

My biggest success to date I would say was being able to purchase my first home, all by myself in the middle of 2020 right in the thick of the pandemic. It was something I always dreamed about, and so proud of myself for making it happen and still often pinch myself. My biggest challenge I would say was recently trying to get to Barcelona with an expired passport, and driving to the home office to beg for an emergency passport and getting on the next flight. Made it happen though! 😇

IF YOU WERE A SONG, WHAT SONG WOULD YOU BE?

The Climb by Miley Cyrus, I love the words and I think they are something to live by.

LATEST WOMENROCK

A letter from Alicia
WOMENROCK02-05-2026
A letter from Alicia
Louise Patterson | Northumbrian Water Group
WOMENROCK25-06-2024
Louise Patterson | Northumbrian Water Group
Breaking The Stigma Around Bipolar | Kelly Morgans
WOMENROCK07-05-2024
Breaking The Stigma Around Bipolar | Kelly Morgans