‘Do or do not, there is no try’ An interview with Claire Rogers

‘Do or do not, there is no try’ An interview with Claire Rogers

We recently met Claire after a referral from the amazing Eriol Fox. Claire moved over to the UK and was looking for a role in Tech. After successfully finding her a job with a Fin-Tech in Bath I was really keen to discuss her career and wanted to find out about women in Tech in Thailand, where she says there isn’t really a gap, it’s an even 50/50 split. We also talked about what’s next for Fintech and her love for Marie Curie as learning about her taught her at a young age that women can do science!

WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO PURSUE A CAREER IN TECH?

I have always been interested in technology since I was young. I still remember when I first used a computer , it was very fascinating for a 12 year-old girl. Since that day, technology has become more and more involved in my life. Games and internet have got my full attention, and I believe that much more fascinating things will be invented around computing technology. I personally think that technology is very a powerful tool and it can make the world a different place. This is the reason why I presumed my career in technology so I can help make the world a different place, a better place.

WHAT IS YOUR ROLE AS BUSINESS ANALYST?

My role as Business Analyst is a bridge between the development team and business management. My main responsibilities are gathering requirements from business side, analysing requirements and creating software specifications for the development team. I also create and maintain documentation of requirements and business rules for change control.

HOW DID YOU FIND A ROLE IN THE UK?

A friend of mine recommended Alicia Teagle of SR2, so I contacted Alicia to discuss about a role I was looking for. After the discussion, Chris found me a Business Analyst role in a FinTech start-up which was exactly what I was looking for. The job matches my experiences and expertise and they were the reason why I have been hired. It was less than two weeks for the process. I would like to thank SR2 for their excellent work,

ARE THERE MANY WOMEN WORKING IN TECHNOLOGY ROLES IN THAILAND?

It is around 50-60% of women in technology in Thailand. I would say that the ratio of men and women working in technology is very similar. There are a few certain types of job such as System Administrator that prefer men over women because the work hours sometimes are late at night.

WHY DID YOU MOVE AWAY FROM SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT INTO A BUSINESS ANALYST ROLE?

When I was a Developer I didn’t have a Business Analyst or a system analyst in my team so I had to communicate with business side to clarify the requirements. As a Developer, my focus was on writing code so whenever I had to communicate to confirm requirements, it slowed my work down. Also after almost 2 years of working as a developer I discovered that I’m actually interested in analysing requirements.

HAVE YOU ATTENDED ANY FEMALE FOCUSED MEET-UPS SINCE YOU HAVE RELOCATED TO BRISTOL?

I haven’t been to any female focused meet-ups but I plan to in the near future.

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO WOMEN LOOKING TO BREAK INTO THE FIELD OF COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY?

My advice would be be confident and believe in your potential. I truly believe that in computer technology industry, skills, expertise and experience are the most important things.

WHAT’S NEXT? WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING?

I’m interested in Project Management and I’m trying to learn about project management from my responsibilities as a Business Analyst.

WHAT’S NEXT FOR FINTECH?

There will be more responsible, ethically-driven and improved accessibility to financial markets.

SQUAD GOALS!

Marie Curie – learning about her taught me at a young age that women can do science.

Princess Ariel – she knows exactly what she wants and she goes for it.

Image result for princess ariel

My old boss – she is my mentor and my role model as a woman in tech.

Thank you for your time Claire, looking forward to seeing you soon

#WOMENROCK

LATEST WOMENROCK

A letter from Alicia
WOMENROCK02-05-2026
A letter from Alicia
Louise Patterson | Northumbrian Water Group
WOMENROCK25-06-2024
Louise Patterson | Northumbrian Water Group
Breaking The Stigma Around Bipolar | Kelly Morgans
WOMENROCK07-05-2024
Breaking The Stigma Around Bipolar | Kelly Morgans